All supporting documents are now uploaded as electronic files to the online graduate application. Please note that official hardcopy transcripts are only required for verification when applicants are offered admission into the graduate program.
The following supporting documents are required for all applications:
- Transcripts from all universities and colleges the applicant has attended, including universities from which no degree was received. Official hardcopy transcripts will only required for verification when applicants are offered admission into the graduate program.
- Confidential letters of recommendation from three professors who have taught the applicant. Generally at least two of these should be professors of history. Reference letters may indicate whether the referee considers the student deserving of financial assistance. The online application system will automatically send a reference request to the referees listed in the application. Referees will have the option to fill out an online reference form, upload a reference letter, or be provided with a mailing address to submit a hardcopy letter. We prefer to receive references electronically. Please let your referees know this and that they should send in their references before our application deadline.
- Sample of writing. If you are applying to the MA program, an undergraduate history term paper or a chapter from an Honours graduating essay is acceptable. If at all possible, pls. send in a 30 page paper. If you are applying to the PhD program, you should send a sample of your written work, in English, at the graduate level; this may be either a major seminar paper or a chapter from an MA thesis. The length of the paper should not exceed 50 pages, if possible. The writing sample must be uploaded as an electronic file to the online graduate application.
- A brief statement of purpose (1-2 pages) identifying the subject, place and time period you hope to concentrate on in your studies and outlining a research proposal which describes the topic on which you might write your thesis. This proposal should demonstrate your ability to define a significant and manageable project in your chosen field. The statement of purpose must be uploaded as an electronic file to the online graduate application.
- A brief statement (one paragraph) describing the level of your reading knowledge of languages other than English. Included as part of the online application.