Prof. Leo K. Shin
Buchanan Tower 1223
- Office hours:
- Tu/Wed 14:00–15:00; and by appointment
- Course web site:
- Please sign up for the mid-term checkup using this doodle poll . Be sure to expand the list to see all the options. And please make sure the doodle poll is displaying the correct time zone (the earliest appointment for each day is at 9:20 am).
(please refresh this page to see the latest updates.)
About the Course
This course explores the history, culture, and identities of Hong Kong from the port's pre-colonial settings in the early nineteenth century to its post-colonial contexts. Its goals are to help students develop the language and tools to understand the metamorphoses of this most unusual metropolis as well as to further their skills in historical analysis. This course encourages students to critically consider Hong Kong's multifaceted identities as well as to take into account the local, national, and transnational (not to mention international) contexts of its spectacular transformations. In addition to that of the departments of History and Asian Studies, this course may be used to satisfy the requirements for the programs of Asian Canadian and Asian Migrations Studies and International Relations (but please check with the corresponding program advisors).
By the end of the term, students should:
- be able to identify some of the major themes, events, and historiographical debates concerning the history of Hong Kong;
- gain a better understanding of the variety of sources available for the study of Hong Kong;
- become more critical consumers and producers of historical knowledge.
|Virtual Exhibition (optional)||(40%)|
|City Inscribed+ (bonus)||(up to 5%)|
Students are expected to have completed the assigned readings before the weekly meetings. In general, this course follows the grading practices outlined in the Academic Calendar:
This is a challenging course. Students are not expected to have prior knowledge of the history of Hong Kong, but they are expected to make serious efforts to learn to think historically.
|Jan. 8||First session|
|Jan. 17||Last day to withdraw without the "W" standing|
|Jan. 29||Proposal due (for virtual exhibition option)|
|Feb. 9||Last day to withdraw|
|Feb. 12||Family day (no class);
Outline of newspaper column due
|Feb. 13–16||Mid-term checkup|
|Feb. 19–23||Reading week|
|Mar. 2||Newspaper column due|
|Mar. 16||Draft research assignment due|
|Mar. 26||Last session|
|Apr. 2||Easter Monday (no class);
Research assignment due
|Apr. 16||Take-home exam/virtual exhibition due|
- Research Guide: Hong Kong (highly useful)
- History Peer Tutoring
- History Writing Centre
- Improving Your Writing
- Academic English Support
- Academic Integrity Resource Centre
- How to Cite
- Chicago Style (Quick Guide )
- How to Cite Asian-Language Sources
- Notes on Romanization (Library of Congress)
- Cantonese Sound System
- Cantonese-English Dictionary
Alternative perspectives on Hong Kong history:
- Carroll, John M. A Concise History of Hong Kong. Lanham, Md.: Rowman & Littlefield, 2007.
- Endacott, G. B. A History of Hong Kong. Rev. ed. Hong Kong: Oxford University Press, 1973.
- Lee, Leo Ou-fan. City Between Worlds: My Hong Kong. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 2008.
- Chan, Ming K, and Shiu Hing Lo, eds. Historical Dictionary of the Hong Kong SAR and the Macao SAR. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press, 2006.
- Holdsworth, May, and Christopher Munn, eds. Dictionary of Hong Kong Biography. Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 2012.
- Lui, Tai-Lok, Stephen Wing-Kai Chiu, and Rap Yep, eds. Routledge Handbook of Contemporary Hong Kong. Abingdon, Oxon; New York, NY: Routledge, 2018.
- Roberts, Elfed Vaughan, Ngai-Ling Sum, and Peter Bradshaw, eds. Historical Dictionary of Hong Kong & Macau. Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow Press, 1992.
Scholarly literature (see also Research Guide: Hong Kong ):
- Carroll, John M., and Chi-kwan Mark, eds. Critical Readings on the History of Hong Kong. 4 vols. Leiden: Brill, 2015.
- Cheung, Sidney C. H., and Siumi Maria Tam, comps. Culture and Society of Hong Kong: A Bibliography . Hong Kong: Department of Anthropology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 1999.
- England, Vaudine. Bibliography on Hong Kong Studies . Part of the Hong Kong History Project based at Bristol.
- Lee, Pui-tak 李培德, ed. Xianggang shi yan jiu shu mu ti jie 香港史硏究書目題解 [An Annotated Bibliography of Hong Kong History]. Hong Kong: San lian shu dian, 2001. See instructor for copy.
- Scott, Ian, comp. Hong Kong. Santa Barbara: Clio Press, 1990.
- Shulman, Frank Joseph, and Anna Leon Shulman, comps. Doctoral Dissertations on Hong Kong, 1900–1997: An Annotated Bibliography with an Appendix of Dissertations Completed in 1998 and 1999. Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 2001.
- Wang Gungwu 王賡武, ed. Xianggang shi xin bian 香港史新編 [Hong Kong history: new perspectives]. 2nd ed. Hong Kong: San lian shu dian, 2017. See instructor for copy of the most-useful bi-lingual bibliography.
- Dissertations and Theses Collections (union catalog of theses completed in Hong Kong and Macau)
- Hong Kong Journals Online (titles )
- esp. Journal of the Hong Kong Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society (1961–; also available at Koerner and online )
Historical documents (see also Research Guide: Hong Kong ):
- Endacott, G. B., ed. An Eastern Entrepôt: A Collection of Documents Illustrating the History of Hong Kong. London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1964.
- Faure, David, ed. A Documentary History of Hong Kong: Society . Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 1997.
- Faure, David, and Pui-tak Lee, eds. A Documentary History of Hong Kong: Economy. Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 2004.
- Hase, Patrick H. "Part 3: Customary Land Deeds." In Custom, Land and Livelihood in Rural South China: The Traditional Land Law of Hong Kong's New Territories, 1750–1950 . Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 2013.
- Hong Kong Government Reports Online (University of Hong Kong)
- Hong Kong & the West until 1860 (HKU)
- Ng, Peter Y. L. New Peace County: A Chinese Gazetteer of the Hong Kong Region . Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 1983.
- Public Records Office (fact sheet ; part of the Government Records Service )
- Ou Zhijian, Peng Shumin, and Cai Sixing 區志堅, 彭淑敏, 蔡思行. Gai bian Xianggang li shi de 60 pian wen xian 改變香港歷史的60篇文獻 [60 documents that transformed the history of Hong Kong] (Chinese). Hong Kong: Zhonghua shu ju, 2011.
- Pre-1950 Hong Kong E-Books (HKU)
- Tsang, Steve, ed. A Documentary History of Hong Kong: Government and Politics . Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 1995.
- Richard Charles Lee Canada-Hong Kong Library (University of Toronto)
Newspapers, periodicals, and photographs (see also Research Guide: Hong Kong ):
- Bard, Solomon, ed. Voices From the Past: Hong Kong, 1842–1918. Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 2002.
- List of Newspapers in Hong Kong
- Newspaper Society of Hong Kong (in Chinese)
- South China Morning Post (1903–)
- Old HK Newspapers (Hong Kong Public Libraries)
- Searchable by date (yyyy-mm-dd) and by text of 13 Chinese- and English-language newspapers:
- 香港工商日報 (Chinese) (1926/04/01 – 1984/11/30)
- 華僑日報 (Chinese) (1947/05/01 – 1991/12/31)
- 香港華字日報 (Chinese) (1895/01/31 – 1940/12/31)
- 香港華字晚報 (Chinese) (1937/01/28 – 1938/01/27)
- 大公報 (Chinese) (1938/08/13 – 1991/12/31)
- 天光報 (Chinese) (1933/02/07 – 1940/11/30)
- 遐邇貫珍 (Chinese) (1853/08 – 1856/05)
- 循環日報 (Chinese) (1874/05/16 – 1886/01/30)
- China Mail (1866/01/04 – 1961/12/29)
- Hong Kong Daily Press (1864/01/04 – 1941/09/30)
- Hong Kong Sunday Herald (1929/01/06 – 1950/10/29)
- Hong Kong Telegraph (1881/06/16 – 1951/03/30)
- Hong Kong Weekly Press (1895/01/03 – 1909/12/24)
- History in Pictures (Hong Kong Public Records Office)
- Hong Kong Image Database (HKU)
- Photos of Old Hong Kong (gwulo.com)
Memoirs and interviews (see also Research Guide: Hong Kong ):
- Balke, Gerd. Hong Kong Voices. Hong Kong: Longman, 1989.
- Blyth, Sally, and Ian Wotherspoon, eds. Hong Kong Remembers. Hong Kong: Oxford University Press, 1996.
- Elsie Tu Digitized Publications
- Hong Kong Heritage Project
- Hong Kong Memory: Oral History
- White, Barbara-Sue, ed. Hong Kong: Somewhere Between Heaven and Earth. Hong Kong: Oxford University Press, 1996.
Literary writings (see also Research Guide: Hong Kong ):
- Cha: An Asian Literary Journal
- Cheung, Martha, ed. Hong Kong Collage: Contemporary Stories and Writing. Hong Kong: Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Hung, Eva, ed. Hong Kong Stories: Old Themes, New Voices. Hong Kong: The Research Centre for Translation, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 1999.
- Hung, Eva, and Chi-yin Ip, eds. To Pierce the Material Screen: An Anthology of 20th-Century Hong Kong Literature. 2 vols. Hong Kong: Research Centre for Translation, the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2008.
- Ingham, Mike, and Xu Xi, eds. City Stage: Hong Kong Playwriting in English . Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 2005.
- Xu Xi and Mike Ingham, eds. City Voices: Hong Kong Writing in English, 1945 to the Present . Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 2003.
- Hong Kong Literature Database 香港文學資料庫 (中文版 ). Full-text access to a wide range of literary writings in Chinese found in newspapers and other periodicals , including:
- Hong Kong English Literature Database
Movies, comics, multimedia (see also Research Guide: Hong Kong ):
- Stokes, Lisa Odham and others, eds. Historical Dictionary of Hong Kong Cinema. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press, 2007.
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- 100 Must-See Hong Kong Movies
- List of Films set in Hong Kong
- Old Master Q 老夫子
- Digital Resources: Hong Kong Studies (HKU)
- Hong Kong Memory
- Multimedia Information System (Hong Kong Public Libraries)
- Gwulo: Old Hong Kong