- Associate Professor, University of British Columbia (2008–)
- Assistant Professor, University of British Columbia (2001–2008)
- Assistant Professor, Simon Fraser University (1999–2001)
- Instructor, Simon Fraser University (1996–99)
- Lecturer and Mellon Fellow, Columbia University (1995–96)
- Education and Political Reporter, Hongkong Standard (1989-90)
- Ph.D., East Asian Studies, Princeton University (1999)
- A.B., Chemistry (cum laude), Princeton University (1989)
- Imperial and modern China
- Texts and textual transmission
- "China" and "Chineseness"
- Borderlands and boundaries
- Historiography and methodology
- Comparative early modern societies
- Culture and society of Hong Kong
Please see Research page for further information.
Work in Progress
The Story of the Story of Hong Kong
"The Limits of All-Under-Heaven" (chapter manuscript)
The Making of the Chinese State: Ethnicity and Expansion on the Ming Borderlands (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2006).
- Longlisted for the 2007 International Convention of Asia Scholars (ICAS) Book Prize for the best English-language work in the humanities published in 2005 and 2006.
Editor, Dang dai xi fang Han xue yan jiu ji cui: Zhong gu shi juan 當代西方漢學研究集萃·中古史卷 [Selected contemporary Western scholarship on Chinese studies: The Mid-Ancient Period]. Shanghai: Shanghai gu ji chu ban she 上海古籍出版社, 2012.
"Re-Collecting Yue Fei: Yue Ke, Jintuo cui bian, and the Making of a Chinese Hero." In Representing Lives in China, ed. Ihor Pidhainy, Roger Des Forges, and Grace S. Fong (under review).
"The 'National Question' and the Stories of Hong Kong." In Hong Kong Culture and Society in the New Millennium: Hong Kong as Method , edited by Stephen Yiu-wai Chu, 129–48. Singapore: Springer.
"Qian yan " 前言 [Introduction]. In Dang dai xi fang Han xue yan jiu ji cui: Zhong gu shi juan 當代西方漢學研究集萃·中古史卷 [Selected contemporary Western scholarship on Chinese studies: The Mid-Ancient Period], 1–14. Shanghai: Shanghai gu ji chu ban she, 2012.
"Thinking about 'Non-Chinese' in Ming China ." In Antiquarianism and Intellectual Life in Europe and China, 1500–1800 , ed. Peter Miller and François Louis, 289–309. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2012.
"The Nation and Its Logic in Early-Twentieth-Century China ." In Journal of the Canadian Historical Association (digital edition) 18.2 (2007 [published in 2008]): 104–22.
Guide to Ming Studies (updated periodically)
Guide to Hong Kong Studies (under preparation)
Review of Speaking to History: The Story of King Goujian in Twentieth-Century China , by Paul A. Cohen. China Information 23.3 (2009): 507–508.
Review of Reconfiguring Chinese Nationalism: How the Qing Frontier and Its Indigenes Became Chinese , by James Leibold. China Information 22.3 (2008): 500–502.
Review of Unbounded Loyalty: Frontier Crossings in Liao China , by Naomi Standen. The International History Review 29.4 (2007): 848–50.
Review of Cultural Centrality and Political Change in Chinese History: Northeast Henan in the Fall of the Ming , by Roger Des Forges. Canadian Journal of History 39.2 (2004): 412–14.
Review of 1421: The Year China Discovered the World, by Galvin Menzies. The Dalhousie Review 84.2 (2004): 319–21.
Review of Blood and History in China: The Donglin Factions and Its Repression , by John W. Dardess. Pacific Affairs 76.2 (2003): 291–92.
Review of Xu Xiake (1587–1641): The Art of Travel Writing , by Julian Ward. Journal of the Economic and Social History of the Orient 46.2 (2003): 247–48.
Review of The Confusions of Pleasure: Commerce and Culture in Ming China , by Timothy Brook. Journal of the Economic and Social History of the Orient 43.2 (2000): 213–15.
Review of Beyond the Neon Lights: Everyday Shanghai in the Early Twentieth Century , by Hanchao Lu. Canadian Journal of History 35.3 (2000): 614–16.
Review of Soulstealers: the Chinese Sorcery Scare of 1768, by Philip Kuhn. Xin shi xue 新史學 [New History] (Taipei) 3.4 (1992): 161–67.
Grants and Awards
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (Canada) Standard Research Grant (2008–11)
- Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange Research Grant (2007–09)
- President's Research Grant, Simon Fraser University (1999)
- Andrew W. Mellon Fellowship, Society of Fellows in the Humanities, Columbia University (1995–97)
- Young Scholar's Fellowship, China Times Cultural Foundation (1994–95)
- Dissertation Fellowship, American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS)/Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation (1993–94)
- Marjory Chadwick Buchanan Senior Thesis Prize, East Asian Studies, Princeton University (1989)
Thesis title: "Alchemy in Elizabethan England and Late Ming China"