1st and 2nd Years
In their first and second years, students
- must take 12 credits of lower-level History courses (or the equivalent taken in other institutions), of which 6 credits must be at the 200-level. The 12 credits may include up to 6 of Arts One or a relevant Coordinated Arts Program (CAP) course.
- should have an average of at least 80% in History courses.
In the regular honours stream, students take:
- HIST 333 (6 credits): year-long course in historiography and methodology
- HIST 321 (6 credits): intensive one-term honours tutorial
3rd OR 4th Years
- HIST 490 (3 credits): a History department “capstone” course
- 9 upper division history credits which must include an upper division history course in a field related to essay topic
- an exam confirming reading knowledge of a foreign language
- HIST 433 (6 credits): year-long course devoted to a topic of broad interest; and to working collaboratively on skills relevant to writing the honours essay
- HIST 421 (6 credits): intensive one-term honours tutorial
- HIST 449 (12 credits): Honours Graduating Essay
- an oral examination on the graduating essay
Please see the section on Honours in History with International Relations for information about the course requirements in that stream.