Study Abroad as Part of Your History Degree Program
Imagine studying World War Two history in Germany, learning about the Industrial Revolution in the United Kingdom, or taking part in a group field study in Hong Kong. Study abroad can be a valuable addition to your history program. The History Department routinely grants transfer credits from history and related courses taken abroad.
Why Go Global as part of your History Degree?
Going Global lets you:
- explore your History degree from a different perspective and gain access to courses you would not have access to at UBC
- get an edge in the workforce, as more and more industries value cross-cultural competencies and international experience
- experience another country as a student and not just a tourist
- become globally aware, grow and develop as a person, and gain cross-cultural understanding.
Go Global Exchange: Where to Start
Go Global has partner universities in over 35 countries, but some of our partners offer programs and courses that will complement and enhance your UBC History degree. You can explore all of Go Global’s partner institutions by visiting Go Global’s partner pages, or see below for a list of universities that have been recommended by the History Department. The History Department has pre-approved courses for history credit at over 60 universities. But you can get credit for history-related courses at any of UBC’s partner universities. Once you’ve completed your research on available programs, you should submit an application with your top three university choices.
Recommended exchange destinations for History students
- Asia:National University of Singapore, Fudan University, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Europe: Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munchen, Universiteit Leiden, Sciences Po, Paris
- United Kingdom and Australia: University of Nottingham, University of Melbourne
- North America: University of California (Los Angeles, Berkeley), Tec de Monterrey
For more information about translating Go Global credits into a History major, click here.
Can you participate in Go Global if you are an Honours student in History?
You can! We encourage students interested in studying abroad to combine History Honours with one of the many exciting international exchange opportunities available through UBC's Go-Global Program. A one semester exchange can be incorporated into your History Honours Program without delaying graduation. A two-semester exchange is also possible, but in most cases will require adding at least one semetser to your studies at UBC.